The challenge at Crafty Cardmakers this fortnight is to make something on a 'flower' theme. And despite the name of the challenge blog, it doesn't have to be a card. And just to prove that, I've made something that definitely isn't a card!
I love the lacy effect of Harganger embroidery. I first learned the basics courtesy of Mary Hickmott's New Stitches magazine, and this is a pattern from a booklet also published by Mary. I hadn't done any for years, but was inspired to do a couple of table mats recently. I stitched this one on 22 count Hardanger cloth with Perle cotton in sizes 5 and 8 and shades of terra-cotta, turquoise and a varigated cream/peach tint.
A close up of a flower. Of course, I do like the fact that the flower has a distinctly Mackintoshesque shape and simplicity.
The challenge for this fortnight is to make something using shades of a colour - any colour.
I've gone for something completely different (for me.) Look! No paper!
A bit of background: I find scarves annoying. They either aren't long enough or they're too long or they catch in the breeze and unwrap themselves. And I like winter coats to have hoods, but again, I hate it when they get blown down. So, the answer: Circular scarves. I've made several, most lightweight which I double up, but when I use a heavier yarn, I only make enough to go once around. This one is for my daughter since she wears black/grey.
And that's it lying flat.
I'm fairly new to crochet, but I do like the effect. The basic pattern came from Attic 24 although I've adapted it to a much smaller size. If you want to get in to crochet - especially blankets - I do recommend her patterns. They're really lovely, she has lots of photos and they don't need translating as they use UK terminology. There are even links to yarn packs for making her blankets!
I've actually used some Aran weight yarn here which was left over from a throw I did for my son a couple of years ago, so the scarf is pretty chunky. But with that round her neck, my daugher's hood won't go anywhere!
In honour of the time of year, the challenge for this fortnight is Love, Love, Love. Valentine cards would definitely be welcome, although you can enter anything so long as it has a love theme.
I've made a valentine for my husband, and as a result, I've kept it plain and simple.
The paper is from a Papermania pad I've had pretty much since I started making cards out of paper rather than using cross stitch on cloth. The die set is, I think, from Sizzix, and includes two lacy and one solid heart with the same outline. I've used one lacy and one solid heat to make a closure for the card.
Inside, I've used more paper from the same pad, and I've completed the card with a die cut sentiment cut using one of the dies from the Crafter's Companion 2018 Advent calendar.
For this fortnight's challenge, we want you to forsake your patterned paper, and make your own background. How you do that is entirely up to you!
I made a variety o backgrounds using a gel plate, stencils, and acrylic paint. The base layer here was an impression used after removing a Crafter's Companion stencil (bark?) and the layer beneath the sentiment is a second impression of the same plate. The sentiment was cut using a Crafter's Companion die, and I completed the card with a couple of lengths of sticky-backed paper lace that I've had for ages and keep forgetting about. I bought it at Ally Pally several years ago and it's in the box with my embellishment, but I never think to look there when looking for something like that. I'm more likely to either look at border dies or ribbon.
One interesting thing which shouldn't really surprise me. Having let the acrylic paint dry, I layered things together with some Collal all-purpose glue. I left it under a flat surface to flatten it while it dried, and came back to find that the paint had migrated to my white matting. Obviously, the solvent in the glue is also a solvent for dry acrylic paint. So, I had to re-do that bit. I'll know better next time.